Wednesday, January 2, 2013

#2: Tires

So over Christmas break I had a lot of extra time on my hands, especially after I was bedridden with the flu for several days.  Having run out of things to read or watch, I decided to check out past episodes of Mythbusters , a show I had not watched before but came highly rated by my 13-year old ;)

On this particular episode the guys checked into the myth that under-inflated tires create worse gas mileage and found it to be true.  You'll have to watch the episode to hear all of the cool ins-and-outs.

So today's money saving tip is:  Check your tires regularly to save money when driving.

Steps:

1.  Find out what your car's tire pressure is supposed to be at.
2.  Acquire a tire pressure checking device and use it regularly (I'm reading weekly, I think every time I fill-up will do).
3. For even better savings, take the time to find out which gas stations near you offer free air.  You won't actually be saving anything if you end up spending $1 for air every time you fill up!!

Here is an interesting discussion about the science behind why cars lose air pressure in the winter.
 

Safe driving!!



love always,
JEnny

0 comments:

Post a Comment